I thought I could ride.
Then I started reining.

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Wenatchee WRHA Spring Fling - Sunday Summary

Sunday we rode in the Limited & Intermediate Non Pro classes.  They were concurrent with the Non-Pro which resulted in a total of 45 runs for the class.  We had our best run ever with a score of 69.  It was not good enough to be in the money but it left me with an elated feeling nonetheless.  I believe we wound up 6th (or perhaps 7th in one?) in both classes - not bad for a field of 30+ entries in each and my first venture into the "big kids" class.  I was so proud of our run and knew EXACTLY what I did wrong and how I can make it better next time.  We ran pattern #3 - the marathon pattern.  I was a little unsure about it at first but I do believe it is my new favorite.

Maneuver             Score

  • Left Roll Back:         -1/2
    • Was a little sticky due to my non-cue.  Pebbles stopped nice and hard.
  • Right Roll Back:       0
    • Everything was perfect.  She ran great in her run downs - straight & collected.  She waited for me the entire time.  Loved every stride of it. 
  • Right Circles:    +1/2
    • Yes, that was a + in front of that 1/2.  We had the best right circles ever at a show.  I ran FAST and had a wonderful dramatic transition to SLOW.  Pebbles was just right there the entire time.
  • Left Circles:       0
    • Fantastic, smooth perfectly timed lead change and wonderful circles.  Again, FAST and SLOOOWW.  I rode her really hard in the fast so she did not have the opportunity to poke her head out to the right.  She rarely does that in a slow circle so that was not an issue.  Transition to the fast/slow was very smooth. 
  • Stop & Back:  0
    • Awesome stop.  I timed it perfectly and it felt awesome!
  • Right Spins:  -1
    • Uh oh.  At least I counted correctly but OH MY, the start was just awful.  I did that horrible "pull her to a start" thing again.  I could have kicked myself.  Her 2nd-4th spin were very nice but boy was that start UGLY.
  • Left Spins:   0 
    • I guess left is easier for me.  I had to calm myself down after the right spins and remind myself all the things that Cliff drills me on during practice: bump her pretty good to get her head straight in front.  Pick up on her a bit. Wiggle that right leg.  Lay my right rein just right.  And CLUCK!!  Viola - it worked!
Notes about the run
  • Need to work on my timing of roll backs.  They were such a no brainer last year that I really have forgotten what a proper cue for them is.  And of course my RIGHT SPINS.  I need to calm down & think before I ask her for these.  She can spin so pretty and I really need to nail my execution because I know I can zero or plus them easily.
Warming up:  I spent a lot of time walking & trotting her on Sunday before I asked her to start getting into the bridle.  When I did ask her to "get to work", she obliged and seemed much more relaxed.  I got after her right away about getting into the bridle and she did not give me much grief - she just went to work and was happy about it.  Not rushing my warm up really helped me to relax too. 

0 comments:

Wenatchee WRHA Spring Fling - Sunday Summary

Sunday we rode in the Limited & Intermediate Non Pro classes.  They were concurrent with the Non-Pro which resulted in a total of 45 runs for the class.  We had our best run ever with a score of 69.  It was not good enough to be in the money but it left me with an elated feeling nonetheless.  I believe we wound up 6th (or perhaps 7th in one?) in both classes - not bad for a field of 30+ entries in each and my first venture into the "big kids" class.  I was so proud of our run and knew EXACTLY what I did wrong and how I can make it better next time.  We ran pattern #3 - the marathon pattern.  I was a little unsure about it at first but I do believe it is my new favorite.

Maneuver             Score

  • Left Roll Back:         -1/2
    • Was a little sticky due to my non-cue.  Pebbles stopped nice and hard.
  • Right Roll Back:       0
    • Everything was perfect.  She ran great in her run downs - straight & collected.  She waited for me the entire time.  Loved every stride of it. 
  • Right Circles:    +1/2
    • Yes, that was a + in front of that 1/2.  We had the best right circles ever at a show.  I ran FAST and had a wonderful dramatic transition to SLOW.  Pebbles was just right there the entire time.
  • Left Circles:       0
    • Fantastic, smooth perfectly timed lead change and wonderful circles.  Again, FAST and SLOOOWW.  I rode her really hard in the fast so she did not have the opportunity to poke her head out to the right.  She rarely does that in a slow circle so that was not an issue.  Transition to the fast/slow was very smooth. 
  • Stop & Back:  0
    • Awesome stop.  I timed it perfectly and it felt awesome!
  • Right Spins:  -1
    • Uh oh.  At least I counted correctly but OH MY, the start was just awful.  I did that horrible "pull her to a start" thing again.  I could have kicked myself.  Her 2nd-4th spin were very nice but boy was that start UGLY.
  • Left Spins:   0 
    • I guess left is easier for me.  I had to calm myself down after the right spins and remind myself all the things that Cliff drills me on during practice: bump her pretty good to get her head straight in front.  Pick up on her a bit. Wiggle that right leg.  Lay my right rein just right.  And CLUCK!!  Viola - it worked!
Notes about the run
  • Need to work on my timing of roll backs.  They were such a no brainer last year that I really have forgotten what a proper cue for them is.  And of course my RIGHT SPINS.  I need to calm down & think before I ask her for these.  She can spin so pretty and I really need to nail my execution because I know I can zero or plus them easily.
Warming up:  I spent a lot of time walking & trotting her on Sunday before I asked her to start getting into the bridle.  When I did ask her to "get to work", she obliged and seemed much more relaxed.  I got after her right away about getting into the bridle and she did not give me much grief - she just went to work and was happy about it.  Not rushing my warm up really helped me to relax too. 

Bookmark and Share

0 comments:

 

Reining Junkie Copyright © 2011 -- Template created by O Pregador -- Powered by Blogger