I thought I could ride.
Then I started reining.

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Show Time!

Well, not quite.  Two more days but we are heading out tomorrow to Wenatchee.  I swear I made at least 100 reining runs in my sleep last night.  I never did that last year - spending my nights before a show going over run after run in my head.   My goals for this show season include being more confident in the arena which means obsessing over the smaller details.  Whether it shows or not shall be determined.  All I know is that as I am riding and thinking about my soon to happen runs, I keep hearing all of the tips, tricks and comments from Cliff replaying in my head.  Retention is a good thing.  Application is even better. 

Nonetheless, we have spent the last two weeks preparing to show and trying to work on some of the finer details like counting spins, which seemed to be my nemesis last year.  I am confident that I have that part figured out in my head.  

We made some tack changes today - another new bit and back in romals.  I really feel that romals suit me better on Pebbles and was glad to see the change suggested by Cliff this morning.  I am better able to get that contact I need for her to run up over her bridle better in my fast circles and rundowns.  It just felt MUCH better.  Plus, I never have to worry what to do with my free hand when riding with romals.  

So as we head out tomorrow, I will be thinking of riding her into my hand, clucking, saying "whoa" so she can hear me, sitting and timing my stops, counting 1-2-3-WHOA, hitting my center on my circles, keeping my opposite leg on her when I slow down so she doesn't fall out of lead or gait, keeping her straight on our rundowns, makings snappy rollbacks, RIDING harder at the fast circles and rundowns.....and the list goes on.  

Happy Sliding!




 

0 comments:

Show Time!

Well, not quite.  Two more days but we are heading out tomorrow to Wenatchee.  I swear I made at least 100 reining runs in my sleep last night.  I never did that last year - spending my nights before a show going over run after run in my head.   My goals for this show season include being more confident in the arena which means obsessing over the smaller details.  Whether it shows or not shall be determined.  All I know is that as I am riding and thinking about my soon to happen runs, I keep hearing all of the tips, tricks and comments from Cliff replaying in my head.  Retention is a good thing.  Application is even better. 

Nonetheless, we have spent the last two weeks preparing to show and trying to work on some of the finer details like counting spins, which seemed to be my nemesis last year.  I am confident that I have that part figured out in my head.  

We made some tack changes today - another new bit and back in romals.  I really feel that romals suit me better on Pebbles and was glad to see the change suggested by Cliff this morning.  I am better able to get that contact I need for her to run up over her bridle better in my fast circles and rundowns.  It just felt MUCH better.  Plus, I never have to worry what to do with my free hand when riding with romals.  

So as we head out tomorrow, I will be thinking of riding her into my hand, clucking, saying "whoa" so she can hear me, sitting and timing my stops, counting 1-2-3-WHOA, hitting my center on my circles, keeping my opposite leg on her when I slow down so she doesn't fall out of lead or gait, keeping her straight on our rundowns, makings snappy rollbacks, RIDING harder at the fast circles and rundowns.....and the list goes on.  

Happy Sliding!




 

Bookmark and Share

0 comments:

 

Reining Junkie Copyright © 2011 -- Template created by O Pregador -- Powered by Blogger