I thought I could ride.
Then I started reining.

Sunday, April 25, 2010

It Was Fun While It Lasted - Part Duex

We showed in Walla Walla on Thursday.  Pebbles did all right in the Open with Cliff.  I believe she ended up 4th & 6th.   The ground was not that great so he did not push her hard into the stops but she spun nice and had really pretty left circles (which is our most difficult direction).  I had a long break before my go in the amateur so you would think I would have had plenty of time to warm up right?  Wrong.  It annoys me when people scratch at the last minute or just don't bother to show up at the gate so I lost a precious 15 minutes of warm up time and had to rush to the gate.  Rushing with Pebbles?  Um yeah - not so much.  She would be the girl who was always an hour late to the party because she had to get her hair just right.   Not saying that all would have gone great with that 15 minutes, but it would have helped.  Note to self:  Next time, don't let others influence my need for proper warm up time.   Needless to say, our run was absolutely the worst I think I have ever had on her - she did spin nice though.  

After our reining disaster, Pebbles had a little time to relax before our debut in the Novice Am Boxing Class.  Now we only got to work the buffalo at home once before we left but thankfully Pebbles know what to do with a cow.  Our dry work was 100 times better then our reining run.  She was getting tired and I think knew there was a reward at the end so she was minding her lefts and rights.  We scored a 69 in our drywork.  Ahh.  Then I got to ask for our cow.  Oh my that was so much fun.  I let my cow squirt out up the fence then I ended up two handing her because she thought she was going to run down the fence with it and that was not my intention.  So we zero'd on our herd work but she worked amazing.  I don't think I ever want to just "Rein" anymore.  Cows are so much more dramatic!

But, but, I don't know when we will be doing any more work together...Friday morning, woke up to find Pebbles left front all swelled and puffy again.  Her tendon is not cooperating and sadly, we are out of commission indefinitely.  We dealt with a slight bow last year and gave her several months off over the fall and winter.  We brought her back slow and she was feeling really strong but I guess the three runs on her was too much.  So we had to scratch for Saturday and possibly for the rest of the show season. 





0 comments:

It Was Fun While It Lasted - Part Duex

We showed in Walla Walla on Thursday.  Pebbles did all right in the Open with Cliff.  I believe she ended up 4th & 6th.   The ground was not that great so he did not push her hard into the stops but she spun nice and had really pretty left circles (which is our most difficult direction).  I had a long break before my go in the amateur so you would think I would have had plenty of time to warm up right?  Wrong.  It annoys me when people scratch at the last minute or just don't bother to show up at the gate so I lost a precious 15 minutes of warm up time and had to rush to the gate.  Rushing with Pebbles?  Um yeah - not so much.  She would be the girl who was always an hour late to the party because she had to get her hair just right.   Not saying that all would have gone great with that 15 minutes, but it would have helped.  Note to self:  Next time, don't let others influence my need for proper warm up time.   Needless to say, our run was absolutely the worst I think I have ever had on her - she did spin nice though.  

After our reining disaster, Pebbles had a little time to relax before our debut in the Novice Am Boxing Class.  Now we only got to work the buffalo at home once before we left but thankfully Pebbles know what to do with a cow.  Our dry work was 100 times better then our reining run.  She was getting tired and I think knew there was a reward at the end so she was minding her lefts and rights.  We scored a 69 in our drywork.  Ahh.  Then I got to ask for our cow.  Oh my that was so much fun.  I let my cow squirt out up the fence then I ended up two handing her because she thought she was going to run down the fence with it and that was not my intention.  So we zero'd on our herd work but she worked amazing.  I don't think I ever want to just "Rein" anymore.  Cows are so much more dramatic!

But, but, I don't know when we will be doing any more work together...Friday morning, woke up to find Pebbles left front all swelled and puffy again.  Her tendon is not cooperating and sadly, we are out of commission indefinitely.  We dealt with a slight bow last year and gave her several months off over the fall and winter.  We brought her back slow and she was feeling really strong but I guess the three runs on her was too much.  So we had to scratch for Saturday and possibly for the rest of the show season. 






Bookmark and Share

0 comments:

 

Reining Junkie Copyright © 2011 -- Template created by O Pregador -- Powered by Blogger