I thought I could ride.
Then I started reining.

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Wenatchee WRHA Spring Fling - Saturday Summary

What a busy week!  First and foremost, our first show in Wenatchee went great. I couldn't have expected Pebbles to work any better for our first show of the season.  Did we win?  Not exactly.  But we did have our best run ever on Sunday.

Saturday we rode in the Beginner class. Had I not over spun by one spin (remember it is 1-2-3-WHOA!) I would have placed 2/3rd in the class of 25 with a 67 1/2.   We ran pattern 8, one of my favorites because you get to spin first.  Our first spin was great - we got a zero and.... a zero.  Darn it!  The miscounting is out of my system now.  NO MORE!   The run was broken down as follows:


    Maneuver             Score
  • Left Spins:         0 
    • felt good with nice cadence, except for over spinning of course
  • Right Spins:       -1/2 
    • first spin was not great due to my trying to pull her into the start.  I need to pick her up, waive my left leg and lay my left rein on her neck.  Once I did this, she fell into a nice cadence. 
  • Right Circles:    -1/2
    • had some trouble getting her into the bridle, but she did good with fast/slow transition.
  • Left Circles:       -1  
    • Changed leads too early.  Cliff thought the judge should have given me a penalty of -1 instead of a maneuver -1.  Pebbles really wants to tip her nose to the outside when running our left circles.  I had to work hard to keep her in the bridle and bring her head back in but she did it and they looked pretty good.
  • Left Roll Back:   -1/2 
    • stop was smooth - roll back was a little sticky. 
  • Right Roll Back:  
    • wonderful stop and nice rollback.  Very smooth.
  • Stop/Back:         -1/2  
    • stop was smooth but not as nice as my second one.  She backed up nice, easy and straight though.  
Notes about the run
  • I really hesitated to long on my roll backs which kind of confused Pebbles.  We don't want her to anticipate them though so it is kind of a catch 22 on my part.  I just need to get that "feel" for them as they are really one of our stronger maneuvers.   
  • Rode her in the same bridle I showed in all last year.  She likes that bit for shows.
  • Loved my 2nd stop - it gave me the "I CAN do this" feeling.  
  • My rundowns were 100 times better then last year.  I rode her into my hand and she ran nice and straight.  She listened so well and waited for me to ask her for speed.  She was collected and controlled the entire time - there was no squirting :)
  • Pebbles was in major heat.  It took quite a bit to get her warmed up to even start concentrating. 

0 comments:

Wenatchee WRHA Spring Fling - Saturday Summary

What a busy week!  First and foremost, our first show in Wenatchee went great. I couldn't have expected Pebbles to work any better for our first show of the season.  Did we win?  Not exactly.  But we did have our best run ever on Sunday.

Saturday we rode in the Beginner class. Had I not over spun by one spin (remember it is 1-2-3-WHOA!) I would have placed 2/3rd in the class of 25 with a 67 1/2.   We ran pattern 8, one of my favorites because you get to spin first.  Our first spin was great - we got a zero and.... a zero.  Darn it!  The miscounting is out of my system now.  NO MORE!   The run was broken down as follows:


    Maneuver             Score
  • Left Spins:         0 
    • felt good with nice cadence, except for over spinning of course
  • Right Spins:       -1/2 
    • first spin was not great due to my trying to pull her into the start.  I need to pick her up, waive my left leg and lay my left rein on her neck.  Once I did this, she fell into a nice cadence. 
  • Right Circles:    -1/2
    • had some trouble getting her into the bridle, but she did good with fast/slow transition.
  • Left Circles:       -1  
    • Changed leads too early.  Cliff thought the judge should have given me a penalty of -1 instead of a maneuver -1.  Pebbles really wants to tip her nose to the outside when running our left circles.  I had to work hard to keep her in the bridle and bring her head back in but she did it and they looked pretty good.
  • Left Roll Back:   -1/2 
    • stop was smooth - roll back was a little sticky. 
  • Right Roll Back:  
    • wonderful stop and nice rollback.  Very smooth.
  • Stop/Back:         -1/2  
    • stop was smooth but not as nice as my second one.  She backed up nice, easy and straight though.  
Notes about the run
  • I really hesitated to long on my roll backs which kind of confused Pebbles.  We don't want her to anticipate them though so it is kind of a catch 22 on my part.  I just need to get that "feel" for them as they are really one of our stronger maneuvers.   
  • Rode her in the same bridle I showed in all last year.  She likes that bit for shows.
  • Loved my 2nd stop - it gave me the "I CAN do this" feeling.  
  • My rundowns were 100 times better then last year.  I rode her into my hand and she ran nice and straight.  She listened so well and waited for me to ask her for speed.  She was collected and controlled the entire time - there was no squirting :)
  • Pebbles was in major heat.  It took quite a bit to get her warmed up to even start concentrating. 

Bookmark and Share

0 comments:

 

Reining Junkie Copyright © 2011 -- Template created by O Pregador -- Powered by Blogger