I thought I could ride.
Then I started reining.

Thursday, March 25, 2010

I love those "Light Bulb Moments"

Whenever I have an "ahhhh ha" or light bulb moment, I feel like a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders.  After however many months of Cliff telling me over and over (and over and over yet again) on how to ride my rundowns, it finally clicked today.  Now, I can't say they all of a sudden became perfect because that will take a lot more work but I am still giddy with excitement because I figured out how I need to ride Pebbles down the pen.  

I would have to say that rundowns have been my biggest challenge.  Not only because you have to go fast (which has been a challenge in itself for me) but you have to think about going straight, keeping your horse square while getting past those markers before asking for a stop.   Once I point Pebbles down the pen, it is like everything flies out the door along with her running.  I have been throwing my hand away, giving her the idea that it is all right to throw her head up and RUN.  This causes me to loose all process of thought along with loosing total control of my timing for a stop.  The end result?  Me having to pick up on her more then necessary, unattactive stops, and a sore neck and back. 

What changed about today?  I should back track to my fast circles where I was having the same problem with letting her run with her head up.  We have been working on me picking up on the reins a little while waving my legs just so to ask her to round up over the bridle.  That finally "clicked" the other day.  Fast forward to my work down the pen today.  Why hello!  If I pick up on her just like I do in my fast circles, I can ask her to accelerate AND she is over the bridle like she should be.   And guess what?  She stops so pretty and SMOOTH. 

I had to laugh becuase it took so long for it to finally click.  In fact, I am pretty sure I actually heard the clicking in my brain. 

Happy Sliding!

0 comments:

I love those "Light Bulb Moments"

Whenever I have an "ahhhh ha" or light bulb moment, I feel like a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders.  After however many months of Cliff telling me over and over (and over and over yet again) on how to ride my rundowns, it finally clicked today.  Now, I can't say they all of a sudden became perfect because that will take a lot more work but I am still giddy with excitement because I figured out how I need to ride Pebbles down the pen.  

I would have to say that rundowns have been my biggest challenge.  Not only because you have to go fast (which has been a challenge in itself for me) but you have to think about going straight, keeping your horse square while getting past those markers before asking for a stop.   Once I point Pebbles down the pen, it is like everything flies out the door along with her running.  I have been throwing my hand away, giving her the idea that it is all right to throw her head up and RUN.  This causes me to loose all process of thought along with loosing total control of my timing for a stop.  The end result?  Me having to pick up on her more then necessary, unattactive stops, and a sore neck and back. 

What changed about today?  I should back track to my fast circles where I was having the same problem with letting her run with her head up.  We have been working on me picking up on the reins a little while waving my legs just so to ask her to round up over the bridle.  That finally "clicked" the other day.  Fast forward to my work down the pen today.  Why hello!  If I pick up on her just like I do in my fast circles, I can ask her to accelerate AND she is over the bridle like she should be.   And guess what?  She stops so pretty and SMOOTH. 

I had to laugh becuase it took so long for it to finally click.  In fact, I am pretty sure I actually heard the clicking in my brain. 

Happy Sliding!

Bookmark and Share

0 comments:

 

Reining Junkie Copyright © 2011 -- Template created by O Pregador -- Powered by Blogger